ideology

let's lay it on the table. eating is awesome. there's endless prose and poetry to be written about food, from a simple Reuben at a bar to an immaculate truffle infused custard. food engages us, stretches boundaries, makes us think, and gets us home in time for Thanksgiving. we may not be professional, but we prefer "undiscovered." we represent a generation of people hungry for more than cheeseburgers and pizza.
we cook, we eat, we write, and we're still hungry.

Monday, October 25, 2010

graffiti - dinner

This past Thursday, I was fortunate enough to be in one of the greatest culinary meccas that exist in our country today. Of course, I am talking about New York City. I kicked off my evening by walking into the heart of the East Village. Graffiti, led by chef Jehangir Mehta, is a tiny restaurant squashed in between two towering apartment buildings. When I first stepped through that doorway the mood shifted dramatically. Outside, it was a bitingly cold evening while on the inside it was youthful, and lively. The walls were straight red brick adorned with vibrant pictures, statues, and various pieces of artwork, making it very warm and welcoming. The restaurant seats no more than 20 or so, dispersed onto 5 different tables. The service throughout our dinner was casual but cordial. They did not hover over us the whole dinner, which is a feat considering the size of the restaurant. If you want a quiet, and personal dinner I would not suggest coming here. The tables are communal, which means you are sitting with strangers. I have never dined this way before, and found it a whole new experience. I was able to converse with my family while able at any moment to talk to others sitting at our table. It elevated the dining experience to a whole new level. I found myself comparing our partners' thoughts on their dinner to ours. The communal tables allowed me to meet some very interesting people.
The food is served in a tapas style, which are small plates and portions. The dishes were plated with precision and an affinity for modern and new plating techniques. The first dish was a watermelon salad with feta cheese and mint sorbet. For me, it was a quirky and fresh start to the meal. I could really tell where the chef was coming from when I took a bite of it. The second dish I ordered was chili dumplings with a grapefruit confit. This dish set my the mood for the rest of my meal. They were fluffy and light and not too filling. The grapefruit confit cut the earthiness of the pork and gave it a nice tangy finish. The next dish was the pickled ginger scallops. This dish fell a bit short for me. The fish was cooked well but the flavor pairings didn't completely work. It could have been more exciting. The most exhilarating dish I encountered here was the chickpea encrusted skate. The skate was impeccably cooked; cut thinly and melted in my mouth. The chickpeas added an earthy nuttiness that finished the dish off for me.
Overall the food was brilliantly executed. The dishes encompassed the entire flavor spectrum, which led to an enjoyable meal that left me wanting a bit more. This restaurant was able to produce dishes that not only excited my taste buds but engaged my senses.

2 comments:

  1. I like your use of the word 'mecca'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I feel like more of a foody ("foodier"?) just reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete